Frequently asked questions
What is the My WU® loyalty rewards program?
The WU® loyalty rewards program let's you earn points when sending qualifying transfers and receive exclusive promotions and offers.
When you create your Western Union profile, you are automatically assigned a My WU number during the registration process. You can also register in person at an Advance America store. Your My WU number will be printed at the top of your receipt.
Can I send money to someone’s bank account?
When sending money from an Advance America store, choose Bank account deposit as the money delivery option.
- Within the US: Bank name, account name, account number and routing number
- Outside the US: One or all of the following may be required: Branch name, bank, or branch code; Account number or International Bank Account Number (IBAN); Routing number, International Bank Identifier Code (BIC), swift BIC or Indian Financial System Code (IFSC)
How do I cancel my money transfer and get a refund?
When will my receiver get the money?
Depending on the delivery and payment methods you choose, money can be picked up in minutes* or within a few working days.
Money Transfer delivery timelines are based on service type:
- Money in Minutes service for pick up at an Advance America – generally delivered within minutes*.
- Next Day service for pick up at an Agent location is generally available the next day*.
- Direct to Bank deposit typically takes between 2 to 5 business days, but could vary, depending on country.
- Bill Payment may vary depending on the selected speed of delivery or the biller.
To see if a money transfer is available for pickup, click Track transfer.
What does my receiver need to pick up their money?
This depends on the money transfer delivery you choose and the destination country. You must be at least 18 years old to send or receive money with Western Union.
Your receiver will need the following for cash pick up at an Advance America location:
- Tracking number (MTCN)
- Sender’s complete name
- Sender’s country and state/city/province may be required
- Expected amount
- Government-issued ID
- In some receiving countries, a security question may be required
How do I know if a company accepts a payment from Western Union?
An Advance America representative can check if the Biller accepts payment from Western Union. Click here to find an Advance America store near you.
Can I cancel a bill payment for a refund?
Bill Payment money transfer change, refund, or cancellation requests must be approved by the company the money is being sent to and are based on their own policies and time frames. Western Union cannot guarantee a refund once the payment has been sent.
How do I make a Western Union bill payment at Advance America?
Ask an Advance America employee for the To Send Money Form (TSMF) for Bill Payments service.
You will need:
- Company Name (or Code City)
- Account Number
You can also start on the Western Union app, fill out the information requested, and finish at an Advance America location.
What kind of payments can I make using Western Union?
Send payments directly to participating billers in the United States for your mortgage, auto, credit card, insurance, utility, government bills, and more with Western Union's Bill Payments service at Advance America.
How do I send money to an inmate in a Federal correctional facility?
Sending money to an inmate is simple. Bring the transfer amount to an Advance America store and provide the following information.
- Correctional facility name
- Receiver's first and last name
- Inmate’s ID number
Where can I cash my money order?
You may be able to cash your money order at banks and other retailers (grocery stores, check-cashing locations or other stores where you’ve been able to cash checks in the past). In some circumstances, the bank or retailer may charge you to cash your money order. You may also be able to deposit the money order into your bank account.
Need help with a lost, stolen, or damaged money order?
- Complete and submit the Money Order Refund Request Form ONLINE, or
- Complete the money order tracing/refund request form on the back of the money order receipt and return it, along with a $15 non-refundable processing fee, to the address listed.
If you DON’T HAVE the receipt: Print and complete the Money Order Research Request form and submit it with all available documents* showing you as purchaser, along with a $30 non-refundable processing fee, to the address listed. Processing can take as long as 6 – 8 weeks, and you may not be eligible for a refund.
I sent my money order to a company/person and they say they never received it. What do I do now?
If the company/person you sent the money order to is claiming they have not received the money order sent, please contact Western Union's Customer Care team. The Western Union Customer Care team is available to help 24/7.
How do I protect myself from fraud?
To protect yourself from fraud, always think carefully about who you’re sending money to. Generally, you should only send money to friends and family you know and trust. Never send money to someone you’ve not met in person, or for an unconfirmed emergency.
We want to help you protect your money and details. We’d advise you not to proceed with a money transfer:
For a purchase you’ve already made online
For anti-virus protection software
To claim lottery or prize winnings
To pay your taxes
To donate to charity
To resolve an immigration matter
To pay for goods or services from someone who recently tried to sell you something over the phone
What do I need to pick up money at Advance America?
You will need the tracking number (MTCN) provided by your sender. Bring your government-issued ID as well as your phone number. This must match what was submitted by the sender.
What is the receive limit for money transfer transactions at Advance America?
The receive limit is $3,000. We will provide up to $300 in cash and the remaining amount in money orders in increments of $500.
Can I send money to locations other than an Advance America store?
Yes, money transfers sent from an Advance America® store can be picked up at any Western Union® agent around the world, including at another Advance America® store.
What do I need to complete my money transfer transaction at Advance America?
Your form of payment in-store is cash only.
Your receiver's name as it appears on his or her government-issued ID.
Your receiver's city/province/state and country.
Your own government-issued ID.
What are my options to send money?
- Stage & Pay: Start your transfer on the WU app or online, select "Pay In Store” and pay in cash at an Advance America location. Click here to get started.
- In-person: Start and complete transaction at an Advance America store.
- Online: Start and complete the transaction and pay online with a debit or credit card. Click here to get started.
Sign up for news, updates and exclusive offers from Advance America.