How to Get Help Paying Your Rent
Not having enough money to pay your rent is frightening. But before you let stress overtake you, remember that there are ways to get help and financial support for your next rent payment.
Ask for Help
An unexpected job loss, a high medical bill, or a few need-to-pay bills can make it tough to come up with your rent payment. If you’ve been a good tenant and are experiencing financial hardship, it may be a good idea to ask your landlord for options. Of course, this is dependent on the relationship you have with your landlord, but it may be possible that they could give you a few weeks reprieve or offer an alternative, such as bartering work in exchange for a month of rent. Family and relatives, too, may be able to assist you with funds to help alleviate your stress.
Look for Loans
While a loan isn’t a long term solution, loans can help you bridge the gap to your next paycheck. If you feel like every month is a stretch to make rent, it may be a good idea to use a loan for now while you look for a more affordable place.
An installment loan
An installment loan is a short-term loan that spans several months. With an installment loan, you and the lender agree to a set loan amount, as well as repayment terms. An installment loan with Advance America:
- Can be applied for online or in person. If approved, you can walk out the store with the money you need or get cash on the same day you apply online.*
- Lasts for a period of a few months depending on the state you live in. Click here to learn more about your options by state.
- Can be an option to bridge the gap between jobs, or can help you pay rent while you look for a less expensive housing solution.
A title loan
If you own your own car, a title loan may make sense. With a title loan, you get a loan based on the value of your car in exchange for your car’s title. A title loan with Advance America:
- Is an option if you own your car and have the title.
- Is dependent on the value of the car; car must be appraised in person for loan approval.
- May make sense if you’re between jobs, or have a financial plan to be able to afford rent in the near future.
A line of credit
If you find yourself coming up short at the end of the month, or have income that fluctuates, a line of credit may make sense. A line of credit allows you to withdraw as much as you need up to your approved credit limit. If you don’t need any money that month, the line of credit will remain in place and you won’t be charged interest for the funds you don’t use. A line of credit with Advance America:
- Is a good option for independent contractors who may have the money coming, but don’t have the money in hand when rent is due.
- Can be applied for online or in person, with same-day approval.*
- Only adds interest according to how much money is borrowed each month.
- Can provide loans of up to $2,500, depending on your state.
Find a Quick Gig
Side hustles, like driving on a ride-share app, delivering groceries, taking online surveys, or attending or performing small tasks, can be set up immediately online and can add some quick cash to your routine. Sign up today for a gig, so you can prepare for the next time you find yourself short when the rent is due.
Call 211 to Find Grants and Housing Support
Reaching out to community organizations, such as churches and charities, can often open up rent assistance for families in need. Simply dialing 211 in most U.S. States will connect you to experts that will listen to your story and assist you in connecting you to funds that are available for your situation.
Start Thinking Two Months Ahead
If this month’s rent can’t be paid, you will want to start planning to pay for the following month as well. If your current situation threatens another month of missed rent, you will want to begin looking for alternatives to your current rental lease. Whether that means realigning your budget, claiming hardship against your outstanding bills, picking up extra jobs, or finding a home with lower rent, starting your research about available options will help you prepare for your future.
While you may need financial help to pay rent this month, you’re not out of options. Understanding short-term options like loans to pay rent, as well as longer-term options like budgeting and strategizing, can help give you peace of mind that your rent can be managed year-round.
Visit Advance America today to learn more about who we are, what money solutions we offer, and why our customers love us.
*Online approvals before 10:30 AM ET (M-F) are typically funded to your bank account by 5 PM ET same-day. Approvals after 10:30 AM ET are typically funded in the morning the next banking day.